Jamaican Cream of Pumpkin Soup
- 4 tbs unsalted butter
- 2 large onions, minced
- 2 lbs Calabaza pumpkin (available at Latin markets)
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup light cream
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Dash of hot pepper sauce
- freshly ground nutmeg
- Heat the butter in a large saucepan add the onions and saute until tender, but not browned.
- Peel the pumpkin and remove any strings and or seeds and cut into 1 inch cubes.
- Add the pumpkin and chicken stock, cover and simmer for about 45 minutes. Pumpkin should almost be disintegrating.
- Let cool slightly and press through a wire mesh sieve or place in a food processor and pulse until almost smooth. Be careful not to over process.
- Return the the sauce pan and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add the cream and hot pepper sauce and gently reheat.
- Pour into serving dishes and sprinkle with a little nutmeg if desired.