Jamaican Cream of Pumpkin Soup
|4 tbs unsalted butter|
|2 large onions, minced|
|2 lbs Calabaza pumpkin (available at Latin markets)|
|5 cups chicken stock|
|1 cup light cream|
|kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste|
|Dash of hot pepper sauce|
|freshly ground nutmeg|
- Heat the butter in a large saucepan add the onions and saute until tender, but not browned.
- Peel the pumpkin and remove any strings and or seeds and cut into 1 inch cubes.
- Add the pumpkin and chicken stock, cover and simmer for about 45 minutes. Pumpkin should almost be disintegrating.
- Let cool slightly and press through a wire mesh sieve or place in a food processor and pulse until almost smooth. Be careful not to over process.
- Return the the sauce pan and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add the cream and hot pepper sauce and gently reheat.
- Pour into serving dishes and sprinkle with a little nutmeg if desired.