Low Calorie Swiss Steak
|1 and 1/2 lbs of lean round steak, trimmed and cut into 6 serving sized pieces|
|1 tbs low calorie margarine|
|1 (16oz) can stewed tomatoes, with juice|
|1 small onion, sliced|
|1 stalk celery, sliced|
|1 medium carrot, peeled and thinly sliced|
|1 tsp Worcestershire sauce|
|1 tbs ap flour|
|kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste|
|1/4 cup water|
This recipe contains 202 calories per serving.
- Place each piece of steak between two sheets of plastic wrap, and flatten to a 1/4 inch thickness, using a meat mallet or a heavy bottomed pan.
- Brown meat on both sides in melted margarine in a large skillet. Drain off excess fat.
- Add the stewed tomatoes, slice onion, celery, carrot and Worcestershire sauce to pan.
- Cover and cook over low heat for about 1 hour or until meat is tender.
- Transfer meat to a serving platter and leave the sauce in the pan.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Skim excess fat from the tomato mixture.
- Combine flour and water and stir until well blended. Stir into tomato mixture.
- Cook over medium heat stirring frequently for about 2 minutes until thick and bubbly.
- Remove sauce mixture from the heat and pour over meat.