Low Calorie Vegetarian Pizza
|vegetable cooking spray|
|1/2 cup chopped onion|
|1 clove garlic, minced|
|4 cups tomatoes, seeded and chopped|
|3 tbs red wine vinegar|
|2 tbs fresh basil, minced|
|2 tsp oregano|
|kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste|
|3 (6 inch) whole wheat pita bread rounds|
|1 cup low fat mozzarella cheese|
|1 medium green bell pepper, chopped|
|1 small zucchini, thinly sliced|
|3 oz mushrooms, thinly sliced|
|2 tbs fresh Parmesan cheese, grated|
Each pizza contains only 191 calories per serving.
- Coat a large heavy skilled with cooking spray and place over medium heat until hot.
- Add the onion and garlic and saute until tender.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, vinegar, basil, oregano. Season with salt and pepper.
- Simmer uncovered stirring occasionally for 20 minutes until sauce reduces by 1/3. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Cut a slit around the edge of each bread round and carefully split apart.
- Place the bread on a baking sheet and bake in a preheated 450 degree oven for about 5 minutes or until the bread begins to brown.
- Spread 1/4 cup of the tomato mixture evenly over each toasted round then sprinkle with cheese.
- Return to the oven and bake until cheese begins to melt.