New Orleans Sazerac Cocktail
- 3 oz rye whiskey
- 3/4 oz simple syrup
- Peychaud bitters to taste
- absinthe or absinthe substitute
- lemon twist for garnish
This is cocktail made famous at the Sazerac coffee house in New Orleans.
- Chill and old fashioned glass by filling it with ice and letting it sit for several minutes.
- In a separate mixing glass. muddle the simple syrup and Peychaud bitters together.
- Add the rye whiskey and ice to the bitters mixture and stir.
- Discard the ice in the chilled glass and rinse it with absinthe by pouring a small amount into the glass, swirling it around and discarding the liquid.
- Strain the whiskey mixture from the mixing glass into the old fashioned glass.
- Garnish with a lemon twist.
- Recipe may be doubled.