Portuguese Kale Soup
|2 lbs fresh Kale, cleaned, stems removed|
|1 large yellow onion, chopped|
|4 potatoes, peeled, and cut into large chunks|
|1/2 lb Linguica or chorizo sausage, cut into 1 inch chunks|
|9 cups chicken stock|
|1/4 cup olive oil|
|8 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed|
|1 can cannelloni beans, drained and rinsed|
|2 bay leaves|
|2 tsp red pepper flakes|
|1 tsp paprika|
|kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste|
- Add olive oil to a large sauce pan. Using medium heat add the onions and garlic. Saute for about 3-4 minutes until the onions are almost tender.
- Add the sausage and saute for another 2 minutes.
- Tear the kale into pieces and add to the pot.
- Add the remaining ingredients and bring almost to a boil.
- Season with salt and pepper
- Cook for about 45 minutes or until the potatoes are fork tender.
- Serve with crusty bread.