- 1 medium onion, minced
- 1 whole head garlic, peeled and crushed
- 2 tbs oregano
- 4 tbs kosher salt
- 1 tbs freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup bitter orange juice (if you can't find Seville oranges make a mixture of half orange juice and half lime juice)
- 1/2 cup peanut oil (optional)
This is a marinade the is commonly used in Puerto Rico at a restaurant called El Rancho Original to marinate pigs before roasting. It really elevates the taste of the pork. It also works on ribs or pork shoulder.
- Mix all the ingredients together and season the pig inside and out with the adobo marinade which should be left on overnight.
- During roasting, baste the pig with the adobo and the meat’s own juices and fat.
- Makes enough for a 10-12 lb suckling pig.