Puerto Rican Tostones
- 1 large, green plantain, peeled and cut into diagonal slices 1/2 inch thick
- salted water
- vegetable oil for frying
These are green plantain strips that are commonly served in Latin American Countries.
- Soak the plantain slices for at least 30 minutes in the salted water.
- Drain and dry with paper towels.
- Heat 2 tbs of oil in a heavy frying pan and saute’ the plantain pieces until tender, but do not let them get crusty on the outside. Drain on paper towels.
- Lay a sheet of waxed paper over the plantain slices and flatten evenly by pressing until about half as thick as before.
- Dip the pressed Plantain in salted water and fry until crust and golden brown on each side.
- Drain on paper towels, salt lightly and serve.