Quick and Easy Vegetable Stock
|1/2 lb carrots|
|2 medium onions, chopped with skin on|
|4 scallions, chopped|
|1/2 lb leeks|
|2 ribs celery|
|3 tbs butter|
|10 cups cold water|
|Bouquet garni (2 sprigs parsley, bay leaf, 2 springs thyme tied in cheese cloth)|
This stock is wonderful for vegetarian soups and stews.
- Slice all vegetables and add to a stock pot along with the butter and saute until tender, but not browned.
- Cover with the water and bring slowly to a boil, skim well with a fine mesh strainer and add the bouquet garni.
- Simmer for 2 hours or until the liquid is reduced to 8 cups.
- Strain stock through a fine mesh strainer.
- Store in refrigerator or freeze.