Salt Codfish Fritters
- 1/2 lb salt codfish, soaked in cold water for at least 2 hours or more
- 2 cups ap flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 large clove garlic, crushed
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp annatto oil (available at Latin markets)
- Vegetable oil for deep frying
- Soak the cod fish in cold water for 2 hours or longer.
- Drain, rinse and place in a small sauce pan.
- Pour boiling water over the fish and allow to stand for 5 minutes.
- Drain, removed any bones or skin and shred the fish.
- Sift the flour and baking powder into a large bowl. Add the garlic, water, annatto oil and mix to a smooth batter.
- Add the shredded fish and mix well.
- In a large sauce pan or deep fryer fill 1/3 full with oil and heat to 350 degrees.
- Fry the mixture by tablespoons full until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels.