St. Lucia Hot Pepper Sauce
|2 tbs vegetable oil|
|1 large onion, minced|
|2 cloves garlic, chopped|
|3 scallions chopped, green and white parts|
|1 Chayote, about 1/2 lb (available in Latin Markets)|
|12 fresh hot red peppers, seeded and chopped|
|1 cup malt vinegar|
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and saute the onion, garlic and scallions until very lightly browned.
- Put the Chayote into another sauce pan and cover with cold water, and simmer covered until tender, about 20 minutes.
- Drain, cool, peel and chop coarsely, using the edible seed.
- Combine all ingredients in a blender or food processor, then add in the vinegar.
- Season with salt.
- Goes well with any fish or meat.