Trinidad Beef Curry
- 4 tbs vegetable oil
- 3 lbs beef round cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 onions, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbs fresh chives, minced
- 1 tbs fresh ginger, minced
- 1 small hot pepper, seeded and minced
- 2 tbs curry powder
- 2 cups coconut milk
- Heat the oil in a heavy casserole and add the onions, garlic, chives, ginger, hot pepper and curry powder. Cook using medium heat, stirring occasionally for about 5 minutes. Take care not to let the curry powder burn.
- Add the beef cube and cook, stirring, for a few minutes longer.
- Add the coconut milk, cover the casserole and simmer gently until the meat is tender. About 1 and 1/2 hours.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve with white rice along with side dishes of grated coconut, mango chutney, raisins, chopped cucumber, chopped tomato, peanuts and sliced banana.