Apple Brown Betty
- 1 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup wheat germ
- 3 tbs unsalted butter
- 4 unpeeled Winesap or Cortland apples
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 cup raisins
- juice from 1/2 lemon and rind
- Mix together bread crumbs, wheat germ and butter.
- Core and slice apples. Add brown sugar, salt and raisins and mix.
- Fill an oiled casserole dish in alternate layers of the apple mixture and crumbs.
- Sprinkle the top with lemon juice and rind.
- Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 30 minutes, covered with foil and 10 minutes, uncovered or until apples are soft.