Apple Brown Betty
|1 cup whole wheat bread crumbs|
|1/2 cup wheat germ|
|3 tbs unsalted butter|
|4 unpeeled Winesap or Cortland apples|
|1/4 cup brown sugar|
|1 tsp kosher salt|
|1/4 cup raisins|
|juice from 1/2 lemon and rind|
- Mix together bread crumbs, wheat germ and butter.
- Core and slice apples. Add brown sugar, salt and raisins and mix.
- Fill an oiled casserole dish in alternate layers of the apple mixture and crumbs.
- Sprinkle the top with lemon juice and rind.
- Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 30 minutes, covered with foil and 10 minutes, uncovered or until apples are soft.