- 1 stick of unsalted butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 and 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 and 1/2 cups, sifted self rising flour
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 cups apples, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt butter in a 12×9 baking dish or in a sheet cake pan.
- In a sauce pan, heat sugar and add water until sugar melts.
- Cut shortening into flour until particles are like fine crumbs.
- Add milk and stir with a fork only until dough leaves the side of the bowl.
- Turn out onto lightly floured board and knead just until smooth.
- Roll the dough out into a large rectangle about 1/4 inch thick.
- Sprinkle cinnamon over the apples, then sprinkle apples evenly over the dough.
- Roll up the dough like a jelly roll.
- Dampen the edge of the dough with a little water and seal.
- slice the dough into about 16 slices, 1/2 inch thick.
- Place in the pan with melted butter, then pour sugar syrup carefully around rolls. This may look like too much liquid, but the crust will absorb it.
- Bake for 60 minutes.