|1 stick of unsalted butter|
|2 cups sugar|
|1 and 1/2 cups water|
|1/2 cup shortening|
|1 and 1/2 cups, sifted self rising flour|
|1/3 cup milk|
|1 tsp cinnamon|
|2 cups apples, finely chopped|
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt butter in a 12×9 baking dish or in a sheet cake pan.
- In a sauce pan, heat sugar and add water until sugar melts.
- Cut shortening into flour until particles are like fine crumbs.
- Add milk and stir with a fork only until dough leaves the side of the bowl.
- Turn out onto lightly floured board and knead just until smooth.
- Roll the dough out into a large rectangle about 1/4 inch thick.
- Sprinkle cinnamon over the apples, then sprinkle apples evenly over the dough.
- Roll up the dough like a jelly roll.
- Dampen the edge of the dough with a little water and seal.
- slice the dough into about 16 slices, 1/2 inch thick.
- Place in the pan with melted butter, then pour sugar syrup carefully around rolls. This may look like too much liquid, but the crust will absorb it.
- Bake for 60 minutes.