Apple Dumplings with Rum Sauce
|6 medium tart apples|
|pastry for 9 inch 2 crust pie|
|1/3 cup brown sugar|
|1/2 tsp cinnamon|
|pinch of fresh nutmeg|
|1/4 cup raisins|
|2 tbs butter|
|2 tbs cream|
|1/2 cup whipping cream|
|2 tbs powdered sugar|
|2 tbs rum|
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Peel and core the apples.
- Prepare the pastry and cut into 6 equal pieces. Roll out each piece into an 8 inch circle. Trim the edges and save trimmings.
- Mix sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Place apple in the center of each circle, then fill center of each apple with about 1/2 tablespoon of the sugar mixture and a few raisins, 1 tsp butter and another 1/2 tbs of the sugar mixture.
- Bring sides of the pastry up and press circle firmly around each apple.
- Roll out the remaining scraps of dough and cut into small leaves. Place on the top of dumplings.
- Arrange dumplings in a un-greased baking dish.
- Combine egg and cream and whisk together until thoroughly blended. Brush dumplings with glaze.
- Bake at 425 for 40-50 minutes or until golden.
- To make the rum sauce, beat the cream until almost stiff.
- Add the powdered sugar and beat until stiff.
- Whisk egg and rum together until thoroughly blended, then fold into whipped cream.
- Serve with dumplings.