Apple Pie Filling
- 4 and 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 10 cups water
- 3 tbs lemon juice
- 6 lbs apples, or 24 cups
This is a classic filling for apple pies.
- In a large pan blend the first 4 ingredients, then ad the salt and stir in the water.
- Cook over medium heat and stir until clear, thick and bubbling.
- Add the raw apples to the syrup and heat through.
- Add lemon juice.
- Pack the apples in sterilized jars, leaving 1 inch of head space, and fill with the hot syrup
- To seal process 15 minutes for pints and 20 minutes for quarts in a water bath.
- Pressure cook then seal, or use right away to make pies.
- If you prefer not to can the mixture, you may refrigerate for up to a week.