Arepas Stuffed with Cheese
- 2 and 1/2 cups of PAN cornmeal (available at Latin Markets)
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 2 and 3/4 cups water
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- canola oil for frying
Arepas are corn cakes made with pre-cooked corn meal. They are very popular in Columbia and Venezuela.
- Add the cornmeal and salt to a large bowl. Then pour the hot water over. Mix well to form a stiff dough.
- Separate the dough into four balls and allow to cool slightly.
- Make an indentation into each ball with your finger and stuff each hole with 1/4 of the cheese.
- Seal up the hole tightly, then flatten the areapa to about 3/4 inch.
- Add some oil to a heavy frying pan and using medium high heat, fry the arepas until golden brown on each side. About 5 minutes per side.