Beef Barley Soup
|4 cups beef stock, divided|
|1/4 cup dried mushrooms|
|1/2 cup barley|
|1 carrot, peeled and sliced into thin rounds|
|2 garlic cloves, smashed|
|1 bay leaf|
|1 tsp olive oil|
|1/4 lb beef chuck, cut into 1/4 inch pieces|
|1/4 cup fresh dill, chopped|
|kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste|
- Soak mushrooms in 1/2 cup of hot beef stock for 10 minutes.
- Remove mushrooms from broth, rinse to remove dirt or grit and chop into large pieces.
- Filter broth through a wire mesh sieve lined with a coffee filter or cheese cloth.
- Combine barley, 2 cups of broth, mushrooms, the filtered broth, carrots, garlic and bay leaf in a 3-4 quart microwave-safe bowl and cover tightly with plastic wrap.
- Cook for 14 minutes in the microwave.
- While the barley is cooing, saute the chuck cubes in a large skillet over medium high heat, until browned on all sides.
- Add remaining 1 and 1/2 cups of broth to skillet and stir to combine.
- Remove barley from micro wave, uncover and discard bay leaf.
- Add the dill and cooked meat.
- Taste for seasoning, then season with salt and black pepper if necessary.