Braised Flank Steak with Soy and Ginger
|1 lb flank steak, trimmed of any fat|
|1 oz piece of fresh ginger, peeled|
|1/2 cup dark soy sauce|
|3 oz light brown sugar|
|12 cloves garlic peeled|
|6 jalapeno chilies|
- Bring a large pan of water to the boil and add the beef. Cook using medium heat for about 30-40 minutes or until tender.
- Drain the meat, set aside to cool.
- Slice the beef across the grain in to strips about 2 inches long.
- Place the ginger in a large sauce pan along with the beef and add 2 cups of water.
- Bring to the boil, cover then reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Skim the fat from the surface of the liquid as the meat cooks. The liquid should have reduced by half of it’s original volume.
- Add the soy sauce, brown sugar and garlic, and simmer for another 20 minutes.
- Add the jalapeno peppers and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Discard the ginger and serve in bowl with generous quantities of the garlic and chilies.
- Serve with rice or noodles on the side.