Caribbean Chicken Creole Style
- 3 and 1/2 -4 lb chicken, cut into serving pieces
- 6 tbs peanut oil
- 4 large onions, minced
- 3 tsp curry powder
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp powdered saffron
- 2 red Habanaero peppers, seeded and minced
- kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- 2 cups coconut milk
This recipe is common in Haiti and is quite spicy designed for Haitian tastes. If you would like it less spicy eliminate one of the Habanero peppers.
- Heat the oil in a heavy frying pan and saute the chicken pieces until golden all over.
- Transfer to a heavy covered casserole.
- In the oil remaining in the pan saute the onions and garlic until tender, but not browned.
- Add the curry powder, saffron and hot pepper and cook for 3-4 more minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper then add the coconut milk.
- Cover and cook at a gently simmer until the chicken is tender. About 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Serve with rice.