Caribbean Coconut Rice and Beans
|3 and 1/2 cups coconut milk|
|1/2 cup boiled ham, coarsely chopped|
|1 fresh hot pepper, seeded and chopped|
|3 cloves garlic, chopped|
|2 strips of bacon, coarsely chopped|
|2 medium tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped|
|kosher salt to taste|
|1 tbs fresh cilantro, chopped|
|2 cups long grain rice|
|1 cup cooked small red beans or kidney beans|
- Pour 1/2 cup coconut milk into a heavy sauce pan with a tight fitting lid.
- Add the ham, bacon, hot pepper, garlic, tomatoes, cilantro and salt to taste.
- Cook, stirring over low heat for 3-4 minutes or until the mixture is well blended.
- Stir in the rice, beans and the remaining 3 cups of coconut milk.
- Stir gently, then cover and cook over low heat until the rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed.