Caribbean Curry Beef Soup
- 1 and 1/2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 cup sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper
- 1 tbs curry powder
- 2 tbs flour
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 (15oz) can of black eyed peas
- 1 (14oz) can of coconut milk
- 2 cups packed baby spinach leaves, stems removed
- 3 tbs fresh thyme leaves, chopped
- kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- vegetable oil
- In a large sauce pan add a little vegetable oil and using medium high heat brown the ground beef.
- Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and pour off a little of the excess oil.
- Add the sweet potato, onion, garlic and red pepper and saute for 3-5 minutes until tender.
- Add the ground beef back to the pan along with the curry powder, beef broth, coconut milk and bring to a simmer.
- Add the curry powder, thyme, cayenne, salt and pepper.
- Add 2 tbs flour with 2-3 tbs of water and mix to combine into a smooth mixture. Stir into the soup and continue to stir until the soup thickens.
- Continue to simmer soup for another 30 minutes, then add the spinach leaves and cook for another 1 minutes.
- Ladle soup into bowls and serve.