Caribbean Curry Beef Soup
|1 and 1/2 lbs lean ground beef|
|1 cup sweet potato, peeled and diced|
|1/2 cup chopped onion|
|2 cloves garlic, chopped|
|1/2 cup red bell pepper|
|1 tbs curry powder|
|2 tbs flour|
|2 cups beef broth|
|1 (15oz) can of black eyed peas|
|1 (14oz) can of coconut milk|
|2 cups packed baby spinach leaves, stems removed|
|3 tbs fresh thyme leaves, chopped|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
|1 tsp cayenne pepper|
- In a large sauce pan add a little vegetable oil and using medium high heat brown the ground beef.
- Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and pour off a little of the excess oil.
- Add the sweet potato, onion, garlic and red pepper and saute for 3-5 minutes until tender.
- Add the ground beef back to the pan along with the curry powder, beef broth, coconut milk and bring to a simmer.
- Add the curry powder, thyme, cayenne, salt and pepper.
- Add 2 tbs flour with 2-3 tbs of water and mix to combine into a smooth mixture. Stir into the soup and continue to stir until the soup thickens.
- Continue to simmer soup for another 30 minutes, then add the spinach leaves and cook for another 1 minutes.
- Ladle soup into bowls and serve.