Chicken Liver Pate with Garlic
|1 cup unsalted butter|
|1 lb chicken livers, trimmed and chopped|
|5 tbs Madeira wine|
|3 large shallots, chopped|
|3 large garlic cloves, chopped|
|2 tsp fresh thyme, chopped|
|pinch of ground allspice|
|3 tbs heavy cream|
|kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste|
|toast and small pickled gherkins to serve|
- Place 6 tbs of the butter in a sauce pan a using low heat melt until the milk solids form, leaving clarified butter. Allow to cool then remove milk solids and pour the clarified butter into a bowl.
- Trim the chicken livers of any fat and connective tissue.
- In a saute pan add 3 tbs of butter and add the chicken livers and saute using medium heat until the livers are browned all over. Take care not to over cook, as the livers will become tough.
- Add the Madeira and cook for another 1 minute.
- Add all of the contents of the pan to a food processor.
- Melt another 2 tbs of butter in the saute pan and saute the shallots until soft.
- Add the shallots, along with the remaining butter and cream and process until smooth.
- Season the mixture with a little salt and pepper.
- Scrape the mixture into a foil lined loaf pan and spread evenly. Cover and refrigerate for several hours or until firm.
- Remove the pate from the loaf pan and cut into thick slices.
- Place on individual serving plates and pour over a little of the clarified butter and garnish with thyme sprigs.
- Serve with crusty bead, crackers and gherkins.