|1 lb unsalted butter|
Clarified butter keeps indefinitely and is always useful for sauteing or cooking meats, and fish at high temperatures because the butter does not burn once the milk solids are removed. In Indian cooking clarified butter is referred to as ghee.
- Cut the butter into chunks and place into a sauce pan.
- Place over medium heat and melt, but do not stir.
- When butter is melted, turn off heat and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Skin off the white foam (milk solids) and carefully pour out the clear yellow liquid and transfer it into a jar.
- Discard any milky residue left in the bottom of the pan.
- Store in the refrigerator.