|1 vanilla bean|
|4 cups heavy cream|
|6 egg yolks|
|1 and 1/2 cups superfine sugar|
|2 tbs Grand Marnier|
|1 and 1/3 cup light brown sugar|
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees
- Place 6 (1/2 cup) ramekins in a roasting pan and set aside.
- Split the vanilla pod lengthwise and scrape the inside contents into a sauce pan.
- Add the cream and bring just to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Remove from the heat and cover. Set aside for 15-20 minutes.
- In a large bowl whisk the egg yolks, superfine sugar and Grand Marnier and whisk until blended well.
- Whisk in the hot cream and strain the mixture into a pitcher.
- Divide the mixture evenly among the six ramekins.
- Pour enough boiling water into the roasting pan to come about halfway up the sides of the ramekins.
- Cover with the pan with foil and bake for about 30 minutes or until the custard just starts to set.
- Remove the ramekins from the pan and allow to cool.
- Sprinkle the tops of the custards all over with the brown sugar and melt with a kitchen torch. If you do not have a torch. Place the ramekins on a baking sheet and melt the sugar under the broiler, just until the sugar melts and caramelizes. Do not let the sugar burn.
- It is important to note that the torch method is superior.
- Place ramekins in the refrigerator to set the crust and chill completely before serving.