- 2 tbs canola oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tbs tomato paste
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tbs masala/curry powder
- 1 tsp Coleman mustard powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground allspice
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 (28oz) can crushed tomatoes with juice
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- In a large sauce pan add the oil and using medium heat saute the onions until the start to caramelize.
- Add the garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add the tomato paste, salt and all of the spices to the pan.
- Saute for another 1-2 minutes.
- Stir constantly to combine.
- Add the brown sugar, vinegar and crushed tomatoes and stir to combine.
- Lower heat and simmer for about 1 hour, stirring from time to time.
- Remove from heat and allow mixture to cool slightly, then add to a food processor or a blender and process until smooth.
- Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. Store refrigerated in a covered glass container.