|2 tbs canola oil|
|1 small onion, chopped|
|1 clove garlic, minced|
|1 tbs tomato paste|
|2 tsp kosher salt|
|1 tbs masala/curry powder|
|1 tsp Coleman mustard powder|
|1 tsp smoked paprika|
|1 tsp ground cloves|
|1/2 tsp fresh ground allspice|
|1 tsp red pepper flakes|
|1 (28oz) can crushed tomatoes with juice|
|1/2 cup brown sugar|
|1/4 cup apple cider vinegar|
- In a large sauce pan add the oil and using medium heat saute the onions until the start to caramelize.
- Add the garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add the tomato paste, salt and all of the spices to the pan.
- Saute for another 1-2 minutes.
- Stir constantly to combine.
- Add the brown sugar, vinegar and crushed tomatoes and stir to combine.
- Lower heat and simmer for about 1 hour, stirring from time to time.
- Remove from heat and allow mixture to cool slightly, then add to a food processor or a blender and process until smooth.
- Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. Store refrigerated in a covered glass container.