French Country Beef Stew
|2 and 1/2 lbs of stewing beef, cut into 1 inch cubes|
|4 cups beef stock|
|1/4 cup frozen peas|
|1/2 lb red skinned potatoes, quartered, skin on|
|1 lb of Asparagus, tough ends removed, cut into 2 inch pieces|
|1 large carrot, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch slices|
|1/2 pound of button mushrooms, halved|
|2 tbs flour|
|2 tbs of olive oil|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
|1 bay leaf|
|extra water if needed|
- Add olive oil and beef to a large sauce pan or stock pot. Using medium high heat brown the beef all over.
- Add the flour and stir to coat the meat.
- Gradually add the beef stock while stirring. Reduce heat to low and let simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Add the potatoes and carrots and simmer until tender.
- Add the mushrooms, peas and asparagus and simmer for another 15 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add more water or stock to cover if necessary.