Fresh Cream of Tomato Soup
|3 lbs of ripe tomatoes (4 cups pureed)|
|1 clove garlic, minced|
|3 shallots, minced|
|5 tbs unsalted butter, divided|
|1 bay leaf|
|pinch of rosemary|
|pinch of thyme|
|1/8 tsp baking soda|
|4 tbs flour|
|3 cups milk|
|2 tsp kosher salt|
|dash of black pepper|
|1 tsp sugar|
|fresh parsley, chopped for garnish|
- Peel and seed tomatoes then puree in a food processor.
- Saute’ the garlic and shallots in 1 tbs of butter for 5 minutes.
- Add pureed tomatoes, cloves, bay leaf, rosemary, thyme and baking soda. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- In another sauce pan, melt remaining 4 tbs of butter. Add the flour and cook for about 2 minutes, stirring constantly until well combined and smooth.
- Add the milk and continue to stir until well combined and smooth.
- Add tomato mixture and stir until well blended.
- Add salt and pepper and sugar, then taste for seasoning.
- Garnish with fresh parsley and serve.