Fresh Cream of Tomato Soup
- 3 lbs of ripe tomatoes (4 cups pureed)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 shallots, minced
- 5 tbs unsalted butter, divided
- 2 cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- pinch of rosemary
- pinch of thyme
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- 4 tbs flour
- 3 cups milk
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- dash of black pepper
- 1 tsp sugar
- fresh parsley, chopped for garnish
- Peel and seed tomatoes then puree in a food processor.
- Saute’ the garlic and shallots in 1 tbs of butter for 5 minutes.
- Add pureed tomatoes, cloves, bay leaf, rosemary, thyme and baking soda. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- In another sauce pan, melt remaining 4 tbs of butter. Add the flour and cook for about 2 minutes, stirring constantly until well combined and smooth.
- Add the milk and continue to stir until well combined and smooth.
- Add tomato mixture and stir until well blended.
- Add salt and pepper and sugar, then taste for seasoning.
- Garnish with fresh parsley and serve.