Hog Fish Sandwich
|4 (8oz) filets of hog fish or fish of choice|
|1 large yellow onion, chopped|
|1 cup mushrooms, chopped|
|8 slices of Swiss cheese|
|Fresh Cuban or French bread cut into 4 6 inch portions|
|3 cups cracker meal and self rising flour mixed together (50/50) mixture|
|1 quart buttermilk|
|kosher salt and pepper to taste|
|Lemon wedges for garnish|
|1 tomato, sliced|
Hog Fish is a fish that the native to the waters of the Florida Keys. It can be found at a large seafood market ordered on line. If you can find Hog fish you may substitute, snapper, Mahi Mahi or grouper.
- Place the hog fish filets in the cracker meal mixture and coat on all sides, then remove excess.
- Dip filets back into the buttermilk, then back into the cracker mixture. Coat completely, then set aside.
- Saute the mushrooms and onions in olive oil until lightly browned and softened, about 3 minutes. Divide the mixture into 4 equal portions in the pan then place the cheese slices over and cook until cheese is lightly melted.
- In a large saute pan add enough oil to come up 1/2 inch of the pan and heat to 350.
- Fry the fish for about 3 minutes per side or until golden brown on each side. Drain on paper towels
- Dress the with lettuce, tomato and tartar sauce, then place the fish filets on the bread then top with the mushroom mixture.