Homemade Brioche Bread
- 1 package dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water(105-115 degrees)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 cup milk, scaled, then cooled to lukewarm
- 3 and 1/4 cup ap flour, divided
- 3 eggs, plus 1 egg yolk
- butter to grease baking pan or brioche molds
- 1 egg yolk mixed with 1 tsp milk for glaze
Brioche is a rich cake like bread with melt away lightness and a glossy top. It is perfect for sandwiches. For a good result follow directions exactly.
- Dissolve yeast in warm water and let stand until bubbly. About 10 minutes.
- Cream butter, sugar and salt, then beat in milk, 1 cup of the flour, eggs, egg yolk and yeast.
- Add remaining flour and beat for about 5 minutes with an electric mixer.
- Cover and let rise until mixture doubles. About 2 hours.
- Punch down dough and beat well with a wooden spoon.
- Cover with foil and let sit in the refrigerator overnight.
- Turn dough out onto a floured board and divide the dough into fourths. Set aside 1/4 of the dough.
- Cut remaining three pieces in half and form each piece into four balls. You should have 24 balls of dough. Alternatively you can make four large loaves and cook in a baking pan.
- With the handle end of a wooden spoon dipped in flour, poke an indentation in the top of each ball in brioche mold.
- Brush holes lightly with water, then press a small bowl into the indentation of the top of each large bowl.
- Cover and let rise until double. About 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Brush the brioche with egg glaze and bake until golden brown. About 15 minutes.