Indian Mango Chutney
|2 lbs hard green unripe mangoes|
|3 tbs kosher salt|
|1/2 lb ripe tamarinds or tamarind pulp (available at Asian grocery's)|
|2 cups malt vinegar|
|3 cups light brown sugar|
|1/2 cup fresh ginger, peeled and chopped|
|1/2 cup raisins|
|1 tsp ground allspice|
|1 oz hot dried red peppers, seeded and roughly crumbled|
- Peel the mangoes and cut the flesh off the seeds into pieces, about 1×2 inches.
- Mix with the salt and set aside for 2 hours.
- Pick the shell off the tamarinds or use tamarind pulp. cover with 1/2 cup boiling water and allow to stand for about a half hour, then force the pulp through a wire mesh sieve. Discard the seeds.
- Drain the mangoes thoroughly and discard the liquid.
- Put the mangoes in a large sauce pan along with the other ingredients and simmer, stirring from time to time, until the mixture is thick and the mangoes are tender. About 30 minutes.
- The mango pieces should not disintegrate.
- Pour into sterilized jars.
- Use with curries and cold meats.