- 5 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp grated lemon rind
- 5 tbs unsalted butter
Lemon curd can be used to spread on hot tea bread, or used as a base for lemon cream pie or as a filling for a cake.
- Fill the bottom of a double boiler with water. Cover and bring to a simmer.
- Combine the egg yolks and sugar in the insert and place onto the boiler bottom and whisk until the yolks are pale.
- Add the lemon juice and rind.
- Change to a wooden spoon and stir, adding butter, bit by bit and cooking until butter has melted.
- Check water from time to time to ensure that it does not boil.
- Remove from the heat and cool lemon curd, stirring until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Remove to a clean dish and dot the top with small pieces of butter the prevent a skin form forming.
- Cool then refrigerate until firm.