|1/4 cup olive oil|
|2 cups onions, chopped|
|1 cup carrots, chopped|
|1 cup celery, chopped|
|2 cloves garlic, peeled|
|2 (28oz) cans plumb tomatoes or 4 lbs fresh tomatoes|
|28oz tomato puree|
|3 tsp kosher salt, divided|
|1 tsp black pepper, divided|
|4 tbs butter|
|1 tsp oregano|
|6 leaves fresh basil, chopped|
|pinch of thyme|
- Heat the oil in a large, heavy bottomed skillet or dutch oven.
- Add the onions, carrots, celery and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally until tender.
- Cut the tomatoes into pieces and add the tomatoes and liquid, tomato puree, 1 and 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/2 tsp black pepper.
- Add the basil leaves
- Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Put the mixture through a wire mesh sieve or food mill to remove as much of the solids as possible.
- Return the mixture to the pot and re- season with salt and pepper.
- Add the butter, oregano, thyme and rosemary.
- Stir to combine the taste for seasoning. Add more salt and pepper if necessary.
- Simmer partially covered for 45 minutes.
- This sauce freezes very well.