- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 (28oz) cans plumb tomatoes or 4 lbs fresh tomatoes
- 28oz tomato puree
- 3 tsp kosher salt, divided
- 1 tsp black pepper, divided
- 4 tbs butter
- 1 tsp oregano
- 6 leaves fresh basil, chopped
- pinch of thyme
- pinch rosemary
- Heat the oil in a large, heavy bottomed skillet or dutch oven.
- Add the onions, carrots, celery and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally until tender.
- Cut the tomatoes into pieces and add the tomatoes and liquid, tomato puree, 1 and 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/2 tsp black pepper.
- Add the basil leaves
- Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Put the mixture through a wire mesh sieve or food mill to remove as much of the solids as possible.
- Return the mixture to the pot and re- season with salt and pepper.
- Add the butter, oregano, thyme and rosemary.
- Stir to combine the taste for seasoning. Add more salt and pepper if necessary.
- Simmer partially covered for 45 minutes.
- This sauce freezes very well.