|2 lbs beef tripe|
|2 pigs feet|
|10 cups cold water|
|1 large onion, sliced|
|1 whole head garlic, cleaned and smashed|
|1 bunch cilantro, chopped|
|1 tbs black peppercorns|
|3 bay leaves|
|1 tsp cumin seeds|
|3 tsp Mexican oregano|
|4 red dried chilies|
|3 tbs kosher salt|
|2 tbs vinegar|
|4 dried guajillo chilies|
|3 cups posole (hominy)|
|2 tbs vinegar|
|2 tbs sugar|
|2 garlic cloves minced|
|1 tsp Mexican oregano|
|1 tsp ground cumin|
Menudo is a Mexican soup/stew that is reputed to relieve hangovers. It has a rich deep flavor. It typically uses tripe and pigs feet in an flavorful stock.
- Soak the tripe and pigs feat in a couple changes of cold water. This will remove some of the excess fat.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil then add the tripe and pigs feet.
- Boil for 5 minutes then drain, discarding the water , then wash the tripe and feet to clean any brown gunk that is collected on the surface.
- Wash out the pot and return the cleaned tripe and pigs feat to the pot then add the ingredients for the braising liquid.
- Cover and bring to a boil, then turn down the heat to low and simmer for 3 hours.
- Turn off the heat and allow it to cool to room temperature.
- Remove the tripe and and brush off any spices.
- Slice the tripe into 1/2 inch x 2 inch strips.
- Remove the pigs feat, clean and strip off the meat and tendon then roughly chop.
- Strain the stock through a double mesh strainer into a bowl and press out the solids.
- Wash out the pot and add the chopped tripe and pigs feet back to the pot.
- Place the oven rack in the lower middle position and preheat to 350 degrees.
- Tear the guajillo chilies open, discarding the stems and seeds.
- flatten the chilies on a foil lined baking sheet then spritz with cooking spray.
- Bake the chilies for 5-10 minutes, taking care not to burn them.
- Remove them from the oven and cover with very hot tap water and allow them to re- hydrate for about 15 minutes.
- Drain the chilies and put them in a blender with about half of the liquid.
- Puree until smooth. Strain the mixture through a wire mesh strainer into the pot with the tripe and pigs feat.
- Once you have strained the chili mixture, pour the rest of the stock through the strainer into the pot and press out any remaining solids.
- Add 3 cups of posole to the pot.
- Add the rest of the Menudo ingredients to the pot and cook until the soup has thickened.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Note: the soup is much better after it sits overnight.