- Parsley and basil turn brown quickly, so treat them as you would a bunch of flowers. to keep the leaves moist, trim stems and place in a glass with an inch of water. Cover with a zip top bag and keep them in the refrigerator.
- Smash peeled garlic with the flat side of a chef’s knife, then slice in half and let your food processor do the rest of the work. If you see a green stem, pull it out, as it can impart a bitter taste.
- Use pesto right away, or store it for up to 24 hours in the refrigerator.
- For maximum flavor, place a piece of plastic wrap on the sauce’s surface then cover with a container lid.
- Freeze for longer storage times.
- The secret to having bright green pesto is to blanch the basil for about 20 seconds before freezing or making fresh pesto