|1 lb lean beef cut into 1 inch cubes|
|1/2 cup flour|
|2 tsp kosher salt|
|1 tsp fresh cracked black pepper|
|1 tbs butter|
|1 tbs canola oil|
|2 cloves garlic, minced|
|1 medium onion, chopped|
|1 (16oz) can of Italian plum tomatoes, drained, chopped, liquid reserved|
|1/2 cup dry red wine|
|1/2 cup beef stock|
|1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped|
|1 bay leaf|
|2 tsp basil, crushed|
|1/2 tsp thyme, crushed|
|1 turnip, diced|
|2 carrots, diced|
|1 potato, diced|
|1/2 mushrooms, halved|
|chopped fresh parsley for garnish|
- Dredge the beef in flour mixed with 1 tsp salt and a dash of black pepper.
- Heat the butter and oil in a casserole and brown the meat on all sides.
- Lower the heat to medium, add the garlic and onion and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato liquid, wine, beef stock, parsley, bay leaf, basil, thyme, salt, pepper, turnips and carrots.
- Cook uncovered for 1 and 1/2 hours.
- Add potato and cook for 15 minutes longer.
- Add mushrooms and continue cooking for an additional 15 minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasoning before serving.
- Garnish with parsley.