|1 tsp active dry yeast|
|1/3 cup warm water|
|1 and 1/4 cups flour|
|2 tbs white sugar|
|1 tsp kosher salt|
|2 tsp garlic powder|
|1 tbs canola oil|
|3 tbs baking soda|
|1 cup hot water|
|flake salt for sprinkling|
- Dissolve yeast in warm water with a pinch of sugar and let stand for about 10 minutes or until the mixture becomes foamy.
- Mix the yeast mixture with the flour, sugar, salt, garlic powder and canola oil, then knead until combined. 2-3 minutes.
- Let the dough rise in a greased bowl until doubled in size. About 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- when the dough has risen, pinch off a handful and roll it out into a long strand.
- Set aside, then repeat with the rest of the dough.
- Once all the strands are rolled out, pick up the first one and stretch it out again. The gluten will have relaxed and it should stretch further now.
- Twist into a pretzel shape and place it on a baking sheet lined with a silicone sheet or sprayed with cooking spray.
- Repeat with the rest of the strands.
- Dissolve baking soda into hot water and stir until dissolved. Quickly dip each rolled pretzel int the mixture, then place on the baking sheet.
- sprinkle all the pretzels with kosher salt or flake salt.
- bake for about 8 minutes or until the pretzels have browned.