|5 lbs fresh mussels|
|3 sticks unsalted butter|
|1 bottle dry white wine|
|5 large onions|
|1 bunch of celery, chopped|
|4 large leeks, cleaned and chopped|
|1 bunch parsley, chopped|
|2 heads of garlic, peeled and chopped|
|3 large sprigs of fresh rosemary, chopped|
|1/2 bulb fennel, chopped|
|kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste|
|1 pint half and half|
- In a large pan or dutch oven add the butter and saute the vegetables along with the garlic until tender.
- Add the wine, parsley, spices and half and half. Simmer for 1 hour.
- Clean and rinse the mussels.
- Add the mussels to the simmering stock, cover and cook for about 4-5 minutes or until all the mussels have opened.
- Discard any mussels that do not open.
- Serve the mussels in bowls with some of the stock poured over along with crusty bread.