- 5 lbs fresh mussels
- 3 sticks unsalted butter
- 1 bottle dry white wine
- 5 large onions
- 1 bunch of celery, chopped
- 4 large leeks, cleaned and chopped
- 1 bunch parsley, chopped
- 2 heads of garlic, peeled and chopped
- 3 large sprigs of fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1/2 bulb fennel, chopped
- kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- 1 pint half and half
- In a large pan or dutch oven add the butter and saute the vegetables along with the garlic until tender.
- Add the wine, parsley, spices and half and half. Simmer for 1 hour.
- Clean and rinse the mussels.
- Add the mussels to the simmering stock, cover and cook for about 4-5 minutes or until all the mussels have opened.
- Discard any mussels that do not open.
- Serve the mussels in bowls with some of the stock poured over along with crusty bread.