Andrew Zimmern’s Special Chicken Livers
|1 (16oz) bag frozen peas|
|1 bunch watercress, cleaned|
|1 bunch of mint|
|1/2 cup of creme fraiche of sour cream|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
|1 lb of chicken livers, trimmed of fat and gristle|
|1 lb bag of frozen tater tots|
|oil for deep frying|
This is an adaptation of a recipe that we watched Andrew prepare. His version included many types of Offal. We have tried to duplicate his recipe just using chicken livers. This recipe is a base of sauteed chicken livers topped with an watercress and pea puree, then topped with fried tater tots. Andrew Please forgive us.
- Trim fat and gristle from the chicken livers.
- In a saute pan add the chicken livers with a little oil and saute until browned all over. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Add the peas to boiling water and cook for 3-4 minutes. Drain and cool under running water.
- Add the peas, watercress, and mint to a food processor, along with a little oil, sour cream or creme fraiche and process until smooth. If not smooth enough add a little more oil.
- In a large saucepan or deep fryer, fill 1/2 full with vegetable oil and heat to 350 degrees.
- When oil is hot add the tater tots in batches and fry until golden and crispy. Set aside.
- Add the chicken livers to an ovenproof casserole dish or a small cast iron skillet and bake in a 350 degree oven for 10 minutes or until cooked through.
- Remove from the oven and top with the pea puree. Return to the oven and warm through.
- Remove from the oven and top with the crispy tater tots.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve.