Avocado Cups with Curried Crab
- 2 shallots, diced
- 2 tbs canola oil
- 3 tbs garam masala
- 2/3 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tsp tomato paste
- grated rind and juice of 1 lemon
- kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- 3/4 lb lump crabmeat
- 2 ripe avocados
- lemon twist, cilantro and paprika for garnish
- Mince the shallots and heat the oil in a small saucepan.
- Add the shallots and the garam masala and fry gently, stirring until the shallots are soft. About 3 minutes.
- Turn into a bowl and allow to cool.
- Add the mayonnaise to the cold shallots and curry along with the tomato paste, lemon rind and juice, salt and pepper.
- Fold in the crab meat.
- Halve the avocados, lengthwise and remove the pits.
- Place each avocado half on a serving plate and spoon an equal amount of the filling.
- Garnish with lemon twists and a sprinkling of paprika.
- Serve as an appetizer.