Avocado Cups with Curried Crab
|2 shallots, diced|
|2 tbs canola oil|
|3 tbs garam masala|
|2/3 cup mayonnaise|
|2 tsp tomato paste|
|grated rind and juice of 1 lemon|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
|3/4 lb lump crabmeat|
|2 ripe avocados|
|lemon twist, cilantro and paprika for garnish|
- Mince the shallots and heat the oil in a small saucepan.
- Add the shallots and the garam masala and fry gently, stirring until the shallots are soft. About 3 minutes.
- Turn into a bowl and allow to cool.
- Add the mayonnaise to the cold shallots and curry along with the tomato paste, lemon rind and juice, salt and pepper.
- Fold in the crab meat.
- Halve the avocados, lengthwise and remove the pits.
- Place each avocado half on a serving plate and spoon an equal amount of the filling.
- Garnish with lemon twists and a sprinkling of paprika.
- Serve as an appetizer.