Caribbean Hearts of Palm in White Sauce
|2 (14oz) cans palm hearts|
|3 tbs unsalted butter|
|3 tbs ap flour|
|1 cup milk|
|1/2 cup heavy cream|
|kosher salt and white pepper to taste|
|1/4 cup Parmesan cheese|
|1/4 cup gruyere cheese|
- Heat the palm hearts in their own liquid. Drain completely then chop coarsely.
- Place in a buttered ovenproof dish.
- Meanwhile melt the butter in a small saucepan, then stir in the flour and cook over low heat, stirring constantly for about 1 minute.
- Heat the milk and cream together and pour on to the butter flour mixture, stirring constantly until smooth.
- Season to taste with salt and white pepper, then pour over the palm hearts.
- Grate the cheeses, then mix together and sprinkle over the palm hearts.
- Place under a broiler until cheese is lightly browned.