Caribbean Hearts of Palm in White Sauce
- 2 (14oz) cans palm hearts
- 3 tbs unsalted butter
- 3 tbs ap flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- kosher salt and white pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup gruyere cheese
- Heat the palm hearts in their own liquid. Drain completely then chop coarsely.
- Place in a buttered ovenproof dish.
- Meanwhile melt the butter in a small saucepan, then stir in the flour and cook over low heat, stirring constantly for about 1 minute.
- Heat the milk and cream together and pour on to the butter flour mixture, stirring constantly until smooth.
- Season to taste with salt and white pepper, then pour over the palm hearts.
- Grate the cheeses, then mix together and sprinkle over the palm hearts.
- Place under a broiler until cheese is lightly browned.