Caribbean Salt Fish Salad
- 1 lb salt cod fish
- 1 lb potatoes
- 1 large avocado, peeled and sliced
- 2 medium tomatoes, peeled, seeded and sliced
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 18 pitted green olives
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- boiled vegetables such as, yams, sweet potatoes, or fried and boiled plantains, to taste
- Soak the cod in cold water for at least 5 hours, or overnight, changing the water several times. Remove any bones and skin.
- Drain and place in cold water and bring heat up to a simmer and cook for about 15 minutes, or until the fish is tender.
- Drain thoroughly, then cut the fish into small cubes, or shred it.
- Arrange the fish in a heat in the center of a serving dish.
- Meanwhile peel the potatoes, cut into cubes and cook in salted boiling water until tender, about 15 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes and arrange around the salt cod.
- Garnish the platter with the avocado, tomatoes, onions and olives.
- Mix the oil and vinegar together and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Pour over fish, and serve at room temperature along with freshly cooked hot vegetables.