Carolina Shrimp and Grits
|1 lb extra large head on shrimp|
|1/4 lb Andouille sausage|
|2 large shallots, sliced|
|1 cup white wine|
|1 cup clam juice|
|1/4 cup unsalted butter|
|3 scallions, thinly sliced, white and green parts|
|1 cup seeded tomatoes, diced|
|2 tsp oil|
|parsley sprigs for garnish|
|2 cups whole milk|
|3 tsp unsalted butter|
|1/2 cup grits|
|3 tsp kosher salt|
- To cook grits bring milk salt and butter to a boil.
- Add the grits and cook on low heat until creamy.
- To cook the shrimp, add the oil to a saute pan then add the shrimp, shallots and andouille sausage.
- Cook just until the shallots soften and the shrimp are slightly pink, but not cooked through.
- Remove the shrimp from the pan.
- Add the wine to the same pan and reduce by half.
- Add the clam juice and reduce by half.
- Add the butter and whisk into the broth.
- Add the shrimp back to the pan along with the tomatoes.
- Taste for seasoning, then season with salt and pepper if necessary.
- To serve place the grits in the center of 2 bowls and arrange the shrimp and sausage artfully around the grits drizzle the sauce over .
- Garnish with parsley sprigs.