Chicken Liver Mousse
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tbs unsalted butter, softened
- 2 large scallions, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb chicken livers, trimmed of fat and cut in half
- kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1 tbs fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup madeira wine
- In a large frying pan melt 1/4 cup butter over moderate heat. Add the scallions and garlic and saute’ until just wilted.
- Turn up the heat, add chicken livers, and saute stirring, until the chicken livers are just browned on both sides.
- Season with salt and pepper, then add the allspice and parsley and stir.
- Add the Madeira and bring to a simmer, scraping up all bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Remove the chicken livers from the pan with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Continue to cook sauce rapidly until liquid is reduced by about half. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Puree livers and contents of the frying pan in a food processor and process until smooth, then beat in 2 tbs of softened butter.
- Pack into a small bowl or crock and cover the surface closely with plastic wrap. Chill completely.
- Serve with sweet gherkins and or spread on crisp crackers.