Cold Tomato and Basil Soup
|l lb ripe tomatoes|
|1 small onion|
|1 tbs tomato paste|
|1 tbs fresh basil, chopped|
|2 and 1/2 cups vegetable or chicken stock|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
|Basil leaves for garnish|
- Roughly chop the tomatoes and onion and place in a blender or a food processor, along with the tomato paste and basil.
- Process until smooth.
- Pass the pureed mixture through a strainer into a saucepan, then stir in the stock and heat gently.
- Remove any froth with a spoon.
- Remove from the heat and let cool, then chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Serve garnished with basil leaves.