Cold Tomato and Basil Soup
- l lb ripe tomatoes
- 1 small onion
- 1 tbs tomato paste
- 1 tbs fresh basil, chopped
- 2 and 1/2 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- Basil leaves for garnish
- Roughly chop the tomatoes and onion and place in a blender or a food processor, along with the tomato paste and basil.
- Process until smooth.
- Pass the pureed mixture through a strainer into a saucepan, then stir in the stock and heat gently.
- Remove any froth with a spoon.
- Remove from the heat and let cool, then chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Serve garnished with basil leaves.