Couscous with Meat and Vegetables
|1 cup canned chickpeas|
|1 lb cubed lamb or beef or a combination of both|
|1 frying chicken, cut up|
|1 medium turnip, sliced|
|1 large onion, chopped|
|3 carrots, peeled and sliced|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
|1/2 tsp saffron threads|
|1 slice fresh ginger|
|6 cups beef or chicken stock|
|1 lb semolina couscous|
|1 small cabbage, quartered|
|3 medium zucchini, sliced|
|1 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)|
|1/4 tsp ground ginger (optional|
- In a large saucepan layer the chickpeas, meat, turnip, carrots, onion, ginger, cabbage and zucchini.
- Be sure to season each layer with a little salt, pepper and cayenne.
- Cover with stock making sure vegetables and meat are completely covered. If they are not covered, add more stock or water.
- Add the saffron and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove any scum from the top with a large spoon.
- Moisten the couscous with cold water, rubbing with your fingers. The couscous will swell a little.
- Place the couscous in a metal colander and place over the simmer stew and steam for 30 minutes.
- Remove semolina to a large bowl. Sprinkle with cold water and stir with a spoon to moisten all grains.
- Return the couscous to the colander and place back over the stew and steam for another 30 minutes.
- Remove semolina to a warm platter.
- Arrange meats and vegetables around the couscous and pour the stew liquid over the couscous to moisten.