Couscous with Meat and Vegetables
- 1 cup canned chickpeas
- 1 lb cubed lamb or beef or a combination of both
- 1 frying chicken, cut up
- 1 medium turnip, sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled and sliced
- kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp saffron threads
- 1 slice fresh ginger
- 6 cups beef or chicken stock
- 1 lb semolina couscous
- 1 small cabbage, quartered
- 3 medium zucchini, sliced
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger (optional
- In a large saucepan layer the chickpeas, meat, turnip, carrots, onion, ginger, cabbage and zucchini.
- Be sure to season each layer with a little salt, pepper and cayenne.
- Cover with stock making sure vegetables and meat are completely covered. If they are not covered, add more stock or water.
- Add the saffron and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove any scum from the top with a large spoon.
- Moisten the couscous with cold water, rubbing with your fingers. The couscous will swell a little.
- Place the couscous in a metal colander and place over the simmer stew and steam for 30 minutes.
- Remove semolina to a large bowl. Sprinkle with cold water and stir with a spoon to moisten all grains.
- Return the couscous to the colander and place back over the stew and steam for another 30 minutes.
- Remove semolina to a warm platter.
- Arrange meats and vegetables around the couscous and pour the stew liquid over the couscous to moisten.