Curried Shrimp with Lemon and Ginger
|1 tbs garam masala|
|2 inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and minced|
|2 garlic cloves, minced|
|1 lb large shrimp, peeled, deveined, tails on|
|4 scallions, sliced on a bias|
|3 tbs fresh cilantro, chopped|
|grated rind and juice of 1 or 2 lemons|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
|1/4 cup creamed coconut|
|1/2 tsp saffron threads|
|3 tbs cashew nuts|
|1 tbs vegetable oil|
|2/3 cup whipping cream|
|fresh cilantro, chopped for garnish|
- Mix together the garam masala, ginger and garlic.
- Place the cleaned shrimp in a flat non metallic dish and rub with the spice mixture. Cover and let marinate in the refrigerator overnight.
- Chop the scallions and max half of them with the cilantro, lemon rind, 3 tbs lemon juice and seasoning,
- Place the fillets on a plate and spoon a little of the scallion mixture over each one.
- Put the coconut cream, saffron and cashew nuts in a blender or food processor with 3 tbs of water. Pulse until smooth.
- Heat oil in a large shallow flameproof casserole and saute the remaining scallions for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the coconut liquid along with shrimp and any remaining marinade.
- Bring to a boil and cover.
- Place in a preheated 350 degree oven until the shrimp are cooked through, about 10-13 minutes.
- Remove the cover and add the cream and heat gently, without boiling, about 2-3 minutes longer.
- Taste for seasoning and adjust if necessary.