Fish Baked in Salt Crust
- 1 whole sea bass or another whole fish (about 2 lbs)
- 2 cups kosher salt or sea salt
- 1 egg white, beaten
- extra virgin olive oil
This is a great technique for cooking whole fish. The fish is encrusted in salt and baked which makes the fish savory and delicious and not salty at all.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Rinse the fish inside and out and pat dry.
- Sprinkle a thick layer of salt in the bottom of a baking pan.
- Place the fish on top and cover it completely with more salt.
- Dip a brush in the egg white and gently dab it over the top layer of salt.
- Add the the oven and bake for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and gently crack the crust and brush away the salt.
- Peel back the skin and remove the fillets from the fish and add to a serving platter.
- Turn the fish and repeat the procedure.
- Take care that the salt does not adhere to the fillets.
- Drizzle the fillets lightly with olive oil and serve.