|1 envelope active dry yeast (2 and 1/2 tsp)|
|1 and 1/4 cups warm water|
|1/2 tsp honey|
|5 tbs olive oil, divided|
|1 tsp kosher salt|
|1 and 1/2 cups whole wheat flour|
|1 and 1/2-2 cups ap flour|
Focaccia takes well to many different toppings and is very easy to prepare.
- Place yeast, water and honey in a large bowl.
- Stir to dissolve yeast and let stand for 5-10 minutes or until foamy.
- Add 3 tbs olive oil, combine with the whole wheat flour, 1 cup ap flour and salt, then stir in the liquids, beating with a wooden spoon until flour is mixed in.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured wooden surface and work in enough of the remaining ap flour by hand to make it very soft, but not sticky.
- Knead for 10 minutes until very smooth and silky.
- Wash and dry bowl and dough and lightly coat with oil.
- Cover and let rise at room temperature until doubled in size, about 1 and 1/2 hours.
- Coat a 10×14 inch baking pan with 1/2 tbs of oil.
- Punch down dough and turn out onto a lightly floured surface.
- Roll dough out into a rectangle to fit pan and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Carefully lift dough into the pan and spread out evenly.
- Brush top of the dough with remaining 1 and 1/2 tbs of oil.
- Cover and let rise at room temperature until puffy, about 45 minutes.
- During the last 10 minutes preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Make 1/2 inch indentations over surface of dough, using your fingertips.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Before baking you may add any toppings of your choice: cheese, tomatoes, onions fresh vegetables, etc.
- Makes about 12 (3 inch squares).