Grilled Cheese Sandwich with Feta and Beets
- 1 small bunch of medium beets, red or yellow or a combination of both
- 1 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- 8 slices of bacon
- 2 tbs Dijon mustard1-3 tbs honey
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 4 tbs grape seed of peanut oil
- 8 slices pumpernickel bread
- butter to coat bread, softened
- 1 cup Feta cheese, crumbled
- 8 oz arugula
- 4 tbs toasted pumpkin seeds
- 1 red onion, sliced about 1/8" thick
This recipe the courtesy of The Wisconsin Grilled Cheese Academy. It contains Wisconsin Feta cheese, beets, arugula, pumpkin seeds and bacon on pumpernickel bread.
- Trim the beet stems, leaving about 1 inch of stem attached. Wash beets in cold water.
- Place a baking dish, drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Add water to dish to a depth of 1/4 inch.
- Cover and place in oven and roast for about 1 hour, or until beets are easily pierced with a knife. Peel beets.
- Fry bacon, until crispy.
- Whisk together mustard, honey, balsamic vinegar and grape seed or peanut oil
- Heat skillet over medium heat and spread one side of pumpernickel slices with butter then place 4 slices in the pan butter side down.
- Top each with 1/8 of the feta, 1/4 of the beet slices, some arugula 1/4 of the toasted pepitas (pumpkin seeds), 2 bacon slices, 1/4 of the onion slices, another 1/8 of the feta and a slice of the remaining pumpernickel, butter side up.
- Grill on both sides, turning once, t brown bread.
- Serve with the honey balsamic dressing on the side or drizzled over the top.