Homemade Fresh Ricotta Cheese
|4 cups whole milk|
|1 cup heavy cream|
|juice of 1-2 lemons|
|1 and 1/2 tsp kosher salt|
This is super simple recipe to make fresh Ricotta adapted from a recipe by Chef Nancy Silverton from “MOZZA “. It can be made in about 30 minutes.
- Combine 4 cups of milk, 1 cup of cream and 2 tbs of lemon juice in a saucepan and bring to boil without stirring.
- Immediately remove pan from heat.
- Let mixture stand for 15 minutes at room temperature. The curds will begin to separate from the whey. If only a few curds form add another 1 tbs of lemon juice and gently stir so you don’t break up the curds too much and let stand for 5 minutes more.
- Using a large non slotted spoon or measuring cup, spoon the curds into a cheesecloth lined sieve set over a large bowl.
- The longer you drain the ricotta, the denser and more flavorful the cheese will be.